Human resource planning (HRP) is the continuous process of systematic planning ahead to achieve optimum use of an organization’s most valuable asset—quality employees. Human resources planning ensures the best fit between employees and jobs while avoiding manpower shortages or surpluses.
Objectives of Human Resource Planning:
(1) It ensures optimum use of present stock of human resources.
(2) It helps in fulfilling individual and organisational aspirations through collective efforts of employees and organisation.
(3) It makes future skill assessment of the organisation to meet overall objectives.
(4) It helps in meeting proper allocation of human resources.
(5) Formulation of transfer and promotional policies of the organisation effectively.
(6) To cope with changes in the organizational set up.
(7) Control over cost of human resources.
(8) To replace employees who retire, die, quit the organisation. Hence continuity in workforce is maintained.
(9) Designing training programmes for various categories of employees.
(10) Prescribes qualifications for different jobs in the organisation.
Essentials for Effective HRP:
(1) Integration of HRP with Organisation Plans:
To meet objectives or goals organisation plans and formulate policies in respect of production, finance, sales and marketing, profit. The HRP should be integrated with the overall business planning of the organisation. Human resource requirement in every function of the organisation should be adequately planned.
(2) Support from Top Management:
Human resource planning is impossible without full backing of the top management. HR manager possess staff authority. He can advice but implementation rest with top management.
(3) Existence of Fully Fledged HR Dep’t:
There must be a fully fledged HR dep’t which takes care of acquisition and development of human resources of the organisation.
(4) Formulation of HR Policies:
The policies in respect of promotion, transfer, training, compensation and other benefits are the prerequisites of effective human resource planning. They should be taken care of properly.